Organized on February 1, 1936, the Court of Appeals was initially composed of a Presiding Judge and 10 Appellate Judges appointed by the President with the consent of the Commission Appointments of the National Assembly.It had exclusive appellate jurisdiction of all cases not falling under the original and exclusive appellate jurisdiction of the 7-man Supreme Court. Its decisions in those cases were final, except when the Supreme Court upon petition for certiorari on questions of law required that the case be certified to it for review. It had also original jurisdiction to issue writs of mandamus, prohibition, injunction, certiorari, habeas corpus and all other auxiliary writs in aid of its appellate jurisdiction. The Court then sat either en banc or in two divisions, one of 6 and another of 5 Judges. The appellate Judges had the same qualifications as those provided by the Constitution for Supreme Court Justices.In March, 1938, the appellate Judges were named Justices and their number increased from 11 to 15, with three divisions of 5 under Commonwealth Act No. 259. On December 24, 1941, the membership of the Court was further increased to 19 Justices under Executive Order No. 395.